United Ways Across the Country Help Americans Achieve Financial Stability
As many as one-third of working Americans do not earn enough money to meet their basic needs. Wages have not kept pace with the rising cost of housing, healthcare, and education and currently 40 million Americans are working in low-paying jobs without basic health and retirement benefits. For families walking a financial tightrope or unable to save for college, a home or retirement, United Way is here to help.
Our strategy is to address the obstacles that prevent hard working low-to-moderate income individuals, (including children & youth) and families from getting ahead financially. United Way of Genesee County will focus on programs that allow participation in financial independence and education activities to achieve increased assets and decreased liabilities while gaining the financial awareness to plan for and accomplish their long-term financial goals.
Grants totaling more than $93,000 were awarded to:
- Family Servie Agency of Mid Michigan (Representative Payee)
- Flint Housing Commission (Bridges to Success)
- Genesee Area Focus Fund (YouthQuest)
- Genesee Area Focus Fund (TeenQuest)
- Junior Achievement of Southeastern Michigan (JA Finance Park - Flint)