The United Way of Genesee County began accepting donations in late September 2015. As of May 31, 2016 this fund has raised $3,191,957. This fund is set up for the purchase of filters, bottled water, emergency support services and prevention/intervention efforts. 100% of the fund is used for these projects and no Administrative Fee is assessed. After the short-term need of Flint residents has been met, any remaining funds will be directed to the Flint Child Health and Development Fund of the Community Foundation of Greater Flint.
Churches and 501(c)3 organizations are welcome to ask the United Way of Genesee County for immediate support to aid in their water crisis efforts. The United Way needs organizations to send requests that must be directly related to the water response and no further than the next three months – no overhead or administrative expenses. Once three months has passed and dollars are used, the organization may ask for another three months of support.
Please email your request or questions to Jamie-Lee Venable – email@example.com or call 810-762*5826 for more information.
Dollars used September – December 2015 (pre-declaration) Totaling $273,570:
- The United Way directly purchased more than 11,000 filters systems and 5,000 replacement filters.
- Food Bank of Eastern Michigan for water purchases
Dollars used January – May 5, 2016 totaling $1,829,943:
- American Red Cross
- Catholic Charities
- Child Care Network
- Church Without Walls
- Communication Access Center
- Community Resolution Center
- Crim Fitness Foundation
- Flint Child Health and Development Fund of the Community Foundation of Greater Flint
- Flint Housing Commission (2 requests)
- Food Bank of Eastern Michigan (multiple requests)
- Genesee County Catholic Schools
- Genesee County Emergency Operations Center
- Genesee County Health Department
- Genesee County Hispanic Latino Collaborative
- Greater Flint Health Coalition
- Genesee Intermediate School District (2 requests)
- Mass Transportation Authority
- Mt Carmel / Baptist State Convention
- NOW Ministries
- Our Lady of Guadalupe
- Salvation Army
- Second Chance Church (2 requests)
- WOW Outreach
- Greater Holy Temple
- Universal Kidney Foundation
- North Central Church of Christ
- Genesee County Community Collaborative
- Boys and Girls of Greater Flint
- Veterans of Now
- Fairhaven Church
- Genesee Health Plan
- 50,000 bus passes for organizations within the Flint Recovery Group to distribute to individuals needing transportation to resources that help them work through the water crisis.
- Babies wipes, bottle openers, and hand sanitizer for organizations within Flint Recovery Group to distribute.
- Hand warmers for volunteers
- Lead exposure, prevention and intervention documents for Genesee County Health Department and Hurley Pediatric Clinic to disseminate to their clients