Genesee County Tax Assistance & Financial Services Coalition returns more than $600,000 to Genesee County
United Way of Genesee County supports the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program. This is a volunteer run program in partnership with the IRS that prepares and e-files tax returns for low to moderate income wage earners for free. For the 2016 tax year, we had 5 tax sites operating with 68 volunteers. Here is a snapshot of the work completed at our sites this past tax season. For the 2016 tax year, we had 5 tax sites operating with 68 volunteers. Here is a snapshot of the work completed at our sites this past tax season.
- Number of days tax sites were open: 26
- Number of hours the tax sites were open: 168 hours
- Federal returns filed: 574
- Federal tax refunds to Genesee County Residents: $625,262
- State of Michigan returns filed: 846
- State tax refunds to Genesee County Residents: $52,966
- City of Flint returns filed: 343
- City of Flint refunds: $2,723
Federal statistics provided by the IRS
State and City statistics are only those reported with client consent and are not complete numbers for our tax sites
With tax season just around the corner, we are looking for volunteers to assist local residents with completing their 2017 tax returns. If you are interested in learning how to complete federal and state tax returns and volunteering to help in your community, please contact Mary Bishop at email@example.com. Training will start in November.