Shiawassee Tornado Fund
On March 14, two tornados (EF0 & EF2) ravaged parts of Shiawassee County with little warning. On the ground for more than 18 miles, measuring 250 yards wide, the storms damaged over 100 homes and structures. Nearly 10 percent of families impacted by the tornados were under/uninsured. Within hours following the first touchdown, the UWGC had issued $20,000 to the American Red Cross for emergency response. In the days following the UWGC:
- Provided families with $1,200 in Meijer gift cards
- Supplied comfort kits (stuffed animal, blanket, hygiene items, and coloring book) to children
- Supported the Salvation Army cantina that provided meals to first responders and volunteers
- Coordinated the donation of a vehicle for a family whose was destroyed by the storm with support from Randy Wise Automotive Group, Young Owosso and Graff Chevrolet Durand
- Created a fund for the public to support those families who were under/uninsured that will be disseminated via a Shiawassee community committee lead by the director of emergency management for Shiawassee County
UWGC dollars given to the American Red Cross also supported response efforts for the tornados that impacted Genesee County that same evening. Funds are disseminated via a Shiawassee community committee lead by the director of emergency management for Shiawassee County. To donate to the fund please click here.