Helping build a better future for Flint students and families
In April of 2015, Flint was 1 of 10 communities around the nation awarded funding through the Operation AmeriCorps initiative. This unique opportunity was an opportunity for us to address an urgent community need utilizing national service members from 3 streams of service: AmeriCorps State/National Members, AmeriCorps VISTA Members, and AmeriCorps NCCC Members. The urgent community need that our program is addressing is the reinstitution and reinvention of community education in the Flint Community Schools - a priority identified in the City's Master Plan.
The 9 VISTA and 21 State Members came on board in August 2015 to serve 5 Flint schools. The NCCC team (8-10 members) will service for 7-8 weeks each summer.
For the 2016-2017 school year, the program expanded to 55 members serving in all 11 Flint Community Schools.
AmeriCorps State members provide before/during/after-school and summer learning activities for K-12 grade students, including success mentoring, homework health, sports-based youth development and health education, conflict resolution, service-learning, and access to social services. VISTA members leverage volunteers and engage parents and community partners. NCCC teams implement a STEAM summer camp and provide physical infrastructure improvements, including safe routes to schools.
Member responsibilities include:
- Success Mentoring to reduce absenteeism
- Homework Help
- Conflict resolution with students
- Health and nutrition lessons with students and families
- Connecting parents and families with social services through partnerships with DHS
- Community partner outreach and programming
- Providing services to parents and families related to community education
- Volunteer recruitment, management, and training
- Implementing a Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math (STEAM) summer camp
- Improving school facilities, playground, and safe routes
Find out more about Flint's Community Education Initiative, spearheaded by the Crim Fitness Foundation, by clicking here.
Does this program sound amazing? Sign up to serve today!
- Education Coordinator (direct service): https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/viewListing.do?id=75175&fromSearch=true
- Physical Activity Coordinator (direct service): https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/viewListing.do?id=75174&fromSearch=true
- Resource Developer VISTA (capacity building): https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/viewListing.do?id=61685&fromSearch=true
- Family Engagement VISTA (capacity buildling): https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/viewListing.do?id=61686&fromSearch=true
To see all open AmeriCorps positions in Flint, click here.