Investing in Shiawassee County
The United Way held a community meeting in Shiawassee to determine focus areas for giving in the county. Together with the community the following Impact Areas and Target Strategies were adopted:
- School Readiness: Shiawassee County children (ages 0-5) access high quality, early learning programs that prepare them for school.
- Strengthening Families: Shiawassee County parents, caregivers, children and families access programs that help families thrive, particularly ones that focus on employment, financial education and/or health.
- Emergency Support Services: Shiawassee County residents access emergency disaster relief, financial assistance, food, and/or shelter needs.
- Safety: Shiawassee County residents access services and programs to reduce violence and abuse; support provided to individuals in abusive/neglect situations.
- Senior Needs: Shiawassee County seniors (age 60 & over) access programs that improve quality of life, providing them with independent living situations and enrichment opportunities.
2020/2021 Impact Grants
- American Red Cross (Disaster Cycle Services)
- Catholic Charities of Shiawassee and Genesee Counties (Community Closet & Hunger Network)
- Relief After Violent Encounter SafeCenter (Emergency &Comprehensive Intervention Strategies)
- Respite Volunteers of Shiawassee (Respite Volunteers of Shiawassee)
- Voices for Children (Prevention)
- ARC of Shiawassee County, Inc. (Connections Teen and Adult Program and Summer Day Care)
- Shiawassee Family YMCA (There's a Y in Every Family)
- Shiawassee Regional Education Service District (Great Start Preschool Investment Foundation)