Have Your Taxes Done for Free through VITA!
Low-to-Moderate income families in Genesee County can file their taxes for free with a professional through United Way's Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program. VITA is a volunteer run program in partnership with the IRS to help families access the EITC and other credits that can boost financial stability. VITA sites for the 2022 tax year are now closed. Sites for the 2023 tax year will open in February 2024.
What documents do I need to bring with me?
- Government issued photo identification for you and your spouse (if married)
- Social Security cards for you, your spouse, and dependents
- An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter may be substituted for you, your spouse, and your dependents if you do not have a Social Security number
- Birth dates for you, spouse, and/or dependents
- Wage and earning statement (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-Misc from all employers)
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- Health Insurance Exemption Certificate, if received
- A copy of last year’s tax returns
- Letter 6419 – Advance Child Tax Credit Payments
- Letter 6475 – 2021 Economic Impact Payment
- Forms 1095-A, B or C Health Coverage Statements
- Information for all other income (Social Security, VA, etc.) and all deductions (tuition/education, mortgage interest, charitable contributions, etc.)
- Medical or HMO premiums paid for self or dependents
- Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider’s tax ID number such as their Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number
- Proof of bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit such as a blank check
- Summer and winter property tax bills
- Landlord’s name and address and proof of rent paid
- A heating bill from November, December, or January (The amount you were billed for heating your home from 11/1/2021 to 10/31/2022. This information should be on your November, December, or January utility bill. If you cannot find it, contact your heat provider.) Click here for more information on the Home Heating Credit!