United Way of Genesee County Serves Shiawassee County
On January 1, 2018, the UWGC assumed all daily operations in Shiawassee County. By operating at scale, we have been able to make substantial growth in local United Way investments. In 2018, United Way of Genesee County, Serving Shiawassee and Genesee Counties:
- Ran a workplace giving campaign cycle, with all funds raised in Shiawassee County staying in Shiawassee County, and being invested in local organizations through an open and competitive Community Impact grant making process.
- Updated United Way grant making impact areas based on community feedback.
- Established a grant making process that included a Community Impact Cabinet of Shiawassee County volunteers who made funding recommendations.
- Continued uninterrupted 211 service and Volunteer Income Tax Assistance for the county.
- Launched Shiawassee Serves, a county-wide volunteer engagement platform and strategy to connect Shiawassee volunteers with the local organizations.
- Supported every school district in Shiawassee County with an early childhood literacy mini-grant.
- Launched A to Z Learn with Me to provide books and literacy information to every newborn in the county.
- Added a Shiawassee County representative to the UWGC Board of Directors.
- Financially supported the efforts of the American Red Cross, Salvation Army and the Emergency Management Office for Shiawassee County responding to the March tornados.